What are your masks made out of?
- The knit portion of the mask is made with cotton. Depending on the version you purchase, the white masks are made from 100% cotton and the the oatmeal and color masks are made from 92% cotton and 8% polyester with silver ions embedded to give the mask antimicrobial protection. All of our masks use a multi-layer construction; two layers of cotton fabric and 2 layers of of 100% polypropylene for superior filtration and comfort. The adjustable nose bridge is composed of 65% ironwire and 35% polyethylene. Our ear loops are made out of nylon and spandex and stoppers are made from silicone that has been tested to be lead-free.
Is the mask reuseable, can I wash it?
- The knit portion of the mask is machine washable and reusable. Wash and dry with like colors. For better longevity, we suggest that you remove the nose bridge prior to wash and dry and reinsert when completed. The replaceable filter should be replaced daily to ensure highest filtration efficiency. However, depending on the circumstance and the environment with which you use the mask in, we believe in your judgement in how you wear and care for your mask.
Has the >99% masks been tested by a third party?
- We have tested the filters with Nelson Labs, an FDA certified testing lab for face masks. Their results show that our masks had a BFE of 99.5% and a PFE of 99.7% for particles as small as .1 microns.
What's BFE and PFE?
Particle Filtration Efficiency (also known as PFE) and Bacterial Filtration (BFE) are measurements of how effective a mask filters particles and bacteria. Specifically, PFE measures how well a mask’s materials can resist penetration of particles at sub-micron levels and BFE measures how well a mask can resists the penetration of bacteria. Efficacy results are reported as a percentage and indicate the ability of the fabric to resist particle and bacterial penetration. Basically, the higher the BFE or PFE number, the better the barrier efficiency. Our >99% filters go beyond the baseline medical mask criterion and are Nelson Labs-tested and proven to have a BFE greater than 99% and a PFE greater than 99%.
Why use a >99% mask over other fabric masks?
- Reuseable masks are awesome, but to add to their functionality, we made our masks to include an integrated pocket which can hold one of our filters that have been Nelson Labs-tested to BFE and PFE >99%. These filters are designed in-house in Ventura, CA and manufactured in the USA by the same suppliers that make medical grade masks.
Can I workout with my mask?
- Our >99% masks are worn by many people who workout. If you feel it is necessary, you can slide out the filter to give more breathability and slide back in when you are done.
Does it matter which direction I slide the filter into the mask?
- The filter is made up of two materials: a spun-bound polypropylene that gives the filter fluid protection, rigidity and added filtration, and a layer of charged melt-blown polypropylene which gives the filter its superior filtration capabilities. Inserting the filter in either direction should not affect the filtration performance of the mask.
How do I wear a >99% mask?
- Step 1: Wash your hands.
Step 2: Fold mask in half.
Step 3: Secure ear loop strings over your ears
Step 4: Fit nose bridge
Step 5: Pull mask vertically and form to your face.
What's the sizing information?
Kids: Height = 5 1/4" Length = 6 1/2"Small/Medium: Height = 6 1/4" Length = 7"Medium/Large: Height = 6 3/4" Length = 7 1/2"
Does your mask have an adjustable nose bridge?
- Yes! There is an adjustable nose bridge to give you a customizable fit. The nose bridge is also helpful to keep air from escaping from the top of the face mask, keeping glasses from fogging up.
Where are the masks made?
- The knit portion are made in Gold WRAP certified facility in Sri Lanka. The filters and nose bridges are made in the USA.